INNOVENTURE 2017 PROBLEM STATEMENTS
NUHS Problem Statement
In the acute hospital setting, patients resting in a position for too long may develop pressure ulcers caused by prolonged pressure to skin areas. To prevent the onset of pressure ulcers, nurses turn and reposition at-risk patients every few hours. Currently, two nurses are required to perform the task as turning and repositioning put immense stress on the back and wrists. However, with the manpower crunch in healthcare, two is a luxury.
NUH is interested in developing an inexpensive and ergonomically-designed product which enables one nurse to turn and reposition a patient independently. As patients susceptible to pressure ulcers tend to be frail and have fragile skin, the solution should minimize forces on the patient’s body during the turning and repositioning.
For this challenge:
- The teams may assume that the average patient is flat on the bed
- Weighs between 40-100kg and his/her height is between 150-190cm.
- The materials used should be able to withstand cleaning using isopropyl alcohol.
- The total cost of the solution is capped at S$1500 per unit.
- The solution is portable (can be used for multiple patients). Portable preferred from a cost perspective as previous fixed systems have proven too expensive and can only be used for one patient at a time.
- The time spent turning the patient with one nurse using the product should not exceed the current time spent (with two nurses) by more than 50%. The average time it takes to setup, turn and clear up is: 5 minutes (can take longer for heavier patients).
InnoSparks Problem Statement
Cooling systems are often ineffective and energy intensive, leading to high operating costs. This is largely due to the energy required to dehumidify AND cool the air. For example in hot & humid climates, on average air-conditioning systems spend 50% of the energy to dehumidify air from 85% humidity to a comfortable 45%. The effectiveness of the cooling can be improved by reducing the humidity of the ambient or inputs airflow prior to cooling it.
InnoSparks is interested in dehumidifying solutions that can help improve the efficiency, effectiveness and cost of conventional cooling systems. The solution should be scalable and applicable to a wide range of cooling systems that require input airflow. The dehumidification system should be at least 20% more energy efficient that current solutions in the market. The application of the cooling system need not be for humans applications only (i.e. AC), you may also look into applications such as: coldchain, animals, industrial applications etc. The application can be both indoor and outdoor.
For this challenge:
- At least 20% more energy efficient that current solutions in the market
PSA Problem Statement
Containers are stacked up to seven-containers-high in the container yard. When a container is stacked out of alignment, it affects the stability of containers on top of and adjacent to it. These containers will have to be readjusted, to ensure continued safety and efficiency. Currently, the Control Centre is alerted to misaligned containers only through the observations of staff on the ground, which is an ad-hoc process.
PSA is interested to find a solution that is able to detect and highlight/identify containers that are misaligned without the need for a human being to do a physical check.
For this challenge:
- You may assume that bottom-most container is accurately positioned relative to markers on the ground, and misalignment refers to how a container’s corner casting is positioned relative to the corner casting of the container above or below it
- Misalignment is defined as the corner casting being >8cm off relative to another corner casting
- You may assume the containers are of the dimensions: 6.06m (20ft) length, 2.44m (8ft) width, and 2.60m (8ft 6in) height
- We are agnostic to how the solution will be deployed for this. However, we have a preference for the solution to be mobile rather than attached to a crane